Saturday, July 17, 2010

design team challenge



Our Lizzie Anne Design Team Challenge this month is to use an everyday item on our card... something that would not normally be slated as a papercrafting item. I chose this star birthday candle that was left over from my daughters birthday party. The cupcake stamp has sentimental value for me...it was my first time *ever* drawing a cupcake. It's still my favorite cupcake stamp to date, but alas, it has been around for a long time and thus it's time for it to retire so we can draw new cupcake stamps. This stamp -- "Hey Cupcake" -- is 50% off until they are all gone so get it while you can! The cool Happy Birthday sentiment is from the new August Monthly Mix set!

I have a funny story to share about this card. I was trying to figure out how to stick the candle on the card...the wax was too slippery for my double-sided tape and I didn't have any glue. Then it hit me... I should just melt the backside a bit and stick it on the paper! Note: I already had the stick and the cupcake taped to the bottom of the card, so I was trying to lift the wax star off my card a bit to get a match underneath it. I'm sure you know where this is going. While doing this, the wick on the candle actually caught fire and I nearly burned my whole card down. ha ha ha! (Note that the wick looks used, that's why!) I managed to blow it out just in time. My son came down the stairs and asked me "Mom what's that burning smell?" Oh, it's just me papercrafting dear! :)

Make sure to visit the LAD Blog today and see what the rest of the design team members did for this month's challenge!

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Hmmmm...that sounds like something I would do Tricia! LOL! Great story and great card! The stories are as much fun to read today as looking at the cards.

Deb said...

OMgoodness! I am glad you didn't have to grab the fire extinguisher! Adorable card! No signs of flame or smoke! ;)

wendyp said...

That is too funny! LOL! Fabulous card!!!

Kate said...

What a cute card! That's a funny story, too. :)

This month's design team challenge is so much fun! I love seeing what everyone did!

Taylor said...

hahahahahaha!!! good thing you didn't burn the house down!!! your card turned out great!